Wednesday, January 8, 2014

I always thought Bob's stories were good and unique, just needed a lot of rewriting.  But I also thought I was biased.  I don't think that now.  

Since I started publishing Bob's stories, I have found out why traditional published authors don't like indie writers.  There are a lot of good indie writers out there, but with the self-publishing ability that every Tom, Dick & Harry has access too, there are tons of bad books being published.  Even most of the well-written books still felt flat, unimaginative.    

As you can tell from my posts, I am not a writer.  But I really enjoy rewriting Bob's stories.  Adding more dimension to the plot or a character.  Doing a turn of phrase that I wonder if the reader will catch or understand how it relates to the plot.  Being rough drafts, there was very little description of place or people.  So I have to add those elements myself.  I have changed the appearances of some characters, but I think he would understand.  These are now my babies too.  

But my self-doubt kicks in and I get mired down second guessing myself.  Never having taken any writing classes, I feel like I am missing something.  But at the same time, I think the outcome is better as I haven't been constrained by the conventional teachings of writing.  In other words, I have a unique writing style.  For better or worse.  

Anyway, I just had to vent.  Especially since I am venting to an empty house.  

No comments:

Post a Comment