Wednesday, July 2, 2014

LOVABLY DEAD by Lex Allen

LOVABLY DEAD by Lex Allen




If you like short stories with a blend of fantasy/horror, you will love this book.  Lex Allen does a great job building his characters and scenes.  You feel like you’re right in the mix of things.  Out of the 5 stories, my favorites were Doctor Gavin’s Patient and Lovably Dead.
Doctor Gavin has a “voice” inside his head that the good Dr. has learned to live with.  In comes a new patient seeking assistance.  And of all things, a succubus.  I loved the interplay between the three characters, as the succubus slowly wins her way over Dr. Gavin.  And just when you think she wins, the “voice” comes to the rescue.  Very imaginative.
In Lovably Dead, my favorite part was how Lex Allen made the zombie, Julian so likable by giving him child-like behavior and mannerisms.  And knowing that Julian is the “zombie”, you except him to be the villain.  But not so fast.  There’s dear, darling Kate, the fiancee.  The things she has to go through to exact her revenge.  I liked the twist at the end, but felt sad for poor Julian.
It’s hard to give a rating and review on a collection of short stories.  Some you may love, some not so much.  That’s kinda my problem.  I wasn’t too thrilled with The Solution.  And Reapers was okay, but I had to go back and refresh my memory on what the story was about.  Overall, I will give my 4 feathers.

No comments:

Post a Comment