Sunday, April 12, 2015

A PINK ZOMBIE, WITH A MIST by Jada Ryker


A PINK ZOMBIE, WITH A MIST by Jada Ryker


During a routine day at the college she teaches at, Dr. Olivia West’s classroom is suddenly disrupted by gunshots and one of her students, Molly, is wounded. Detective Steven Lewis is assigned to the shooting, and during his investigation of Olivia, we learn that her best friend Emma Martin has been missing for several months. Both Olivia and Emma are from the area known as Heaven’s Bottom, where the Detective’s wife was murdered several years ago. There are several sub-plots in this story, but the main one is Heaven’s Bottom. What is really going on in this secluded, protected island?

This is the second book I’ve read by Jada Ryker. The first one was MAYHEM TAKES A DARE, which I previously reviewed and gave 4 feathers.



Ms. Ryker writes with a wide range of fun, crazy characters. How she keeps them separate in her mind I’ll never know. Each character is well-written and unique unto themselves. The problem with so many in a cast, it’s easy to lose track of who is whom.

The plot takes you all over the place from Olivia’s zany foster parents to a chemical plant, and of course the final showdown with the Reverend March. The story was told well, my only issues and the reason I’m downgrading my review to 4 feathers, is I thought some of the plot wasn’t as developed as it could have been. Some parts just didn’t mesh that well, like Dante suddenly having paranormal powers that were never discussed anywhere else. I also thought Ashdon and Molly acted more like high school kids than college students. The author also has a penchant for describing a person or an event during dialogue, which could’ve been better served as narration. 


 If you’re looking for the standard zombie book, this isn’t it. But if you want something quirky and different, you’ll enjoy this book. I give it my 4 feathers
www.citruslane.com

No comments:

Post a Comment