Saturday, April 4, 2015

Meet Heather Osborne and her latest novel plus her current WIP


Heather Osborne


Meet Heather Osborne and her latest novel plus her current WIP


The Soldier's Secret



Tell us about your newest release:

My newest release is called “The Soldier’s Secret.”

What is the story about?

The Soldier’s Secret is a historical romance taking place during the American Civil War.

In an era when women are adornments, Northerner Emma Mansfield finds it challenging to fit the mold. It becomes an impossible task when her country is torn apart by civil war. Knowing she must take action, Emma finds herself in the midst of danger and intrigue when she takes up the guise of a young artillery soldier for the Union Army. Desperately trying to find out if her two brothers are alive, Emma must maintain her anonymity as she fights for survival.

Who is the main character?

Emma Mansfield is the main character of the novel.

What inspired this tale?  How did the story come to you?

I had always been fascinated by women flouting social norms. I had known about women dressing as men to go and fight, but I didn’t realize how widespread it was. I love strong heroines as well. The story developed organically from there.

Did you have to research for this novel and if so, why?

The research took me almost as long as the writing of the novel! I was constantly checking battle dates, clothing, stories of women who fought, and even which types of artillery were used by the Union Army.

This also sparked two blog entries, one about women soldiers and the other, about artillery.

If you did research, what do you think surprised you most to learn and why?

I have to say the most interesting thing I found out was about a woman who continued dressing as a man, even after the war ended. She participated in elections, under her assumed name. It wasn’t until she was hit by a carriage that her identity was revealed. Unfortunately, she began suffering from early dementia and was placed in a mental hospital, where they made her dress as a woman. When she died, her old comrades rallied together and insisted she be buried in full uniform, which she was. It was an inspiring story of early transgender rights. She clearly did not feel at home in a woman’s body. At the time, this was considered a mental illness sadly. It’s amazing the support she got though from her fellow soldiers.

Do you relate to your character?  Is your protagonist anything like you personally?

Yes, very much so.

If yes, then how?

I’ve participated in many historical reenactments, and fired a few cannons in my time, like Emma. I also would fight to the death for something I believe in, and to save my family.

What made you write this character; what made them important to you or made you want to tell their story?

I wanted to raise awareness of a little known historical fact. Women have been fighting alongside men in battle since the beginning of time. I feel it’s often overlooked for more prominent male historical figures. I want people to know that women did incredible things, right there with men.

Is there anything specific you want readers to know about this piece of work?

It is a piece of historical fiction. I’ve tried to maintain the facts as much as possible, but I’ve placed my own spin on a few things. I am, after all, telling a story and I want readers to be entertained, as well as learn a little bit about the time period.

Has the book already been published?

Yes, it is in ebook and paperback form on all Amazon Marketplaces.




Now let's meet Heather Osborne's character in her current WIP.

Tell us the title of your WIP: 


The Fairest of Them: A Rae Hatting Mystery




Who are you?  What is your name?

Special Agent Rae Hatting

Are you a fictional or historical character?

Fictional

What should we know about you?

I am a driven women. Hell, working for the FBI, you have to be! I have auburn hair and brown eyes, about 5’7” tall. I’m pretty well toned from working out to keep up chasing after perps. I have an adopted daughter, Grace. We found each other after I solved a series of homicides in Colorado, one of them being her older sister, unfortunately (Crushed Gardenias: A Short Story). We live in Virginia.

Crushed Gardenias: A Short Story (A Rae Hatting Mystery Book 1)

Tell us about your story:  

When and where is your tale set?

Since this is the first novel, we’re a bit all over the place, but mostly Virginia and California

What is your personal goal? I mean, what do you ultimately want?

I guess figuring out this whole motherhood thing and trying to balance work with family life. I suppose a little romance wouldn't hurt. Actually, I’d like an easy life, but it doesn’t seem to be in the cards at the moment.

What is standing in your way? What conflict(s) do you face?

Aside from every captain in the country wanting me to come check out their supposed serial killer? I guess I’d have to say my biggest conflict is Detective Luke Thompson and his broody nature. He’s a good cop, but he’s haunted by a lot in his past. I hope he can pull it together!

How do I get a copy of your book?  Is it available now or when can we except to see it released?

Aiming for May/June 2015

You can connect with Heather Osborne at:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HAOsborne
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hosborneauthor
Google +: https://plus.google.com/u/1/+HeatherOsborne27
Blog: https://heatherosborneauthor.wordpress.com/Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/Heather-Osborne/e/B00HM2AKHM/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1
Engraved Name Frames

No comments:

Post a Comment