Friday, June 19, 2015

Chapter Excerpt from TWICE AS FATAL by R. Weir

Twice as Fatal: A Jarvis Mann Detective Novel
\
Chapter Excerpt from TWICE AS FATAL by R. Weir

R Weir

BOOK DESCRIPTION

Twice the business, twice the danger and Twice as Fatal. PI Jarvis Mann has two cases he is working, making his professional and personal life twice as difficult. 

Ray Malone is a promising college football star whose career is derailed by injuries. When he disappears, close friend Jarvis is recruited by Ray’s father to locate him. After tracking him down a video is sent of Ray with the warning of it going public, threatening his career and those that love him.

Case two has landlord Kate Tanner hiring Jarvis to gather evidence against her cheating, thieving husband so she can divorce him. As Jarvis investigates he learns of the husband’s connection to a powerful man, with a dangerously perverted agenda that crosses into Kate’s life with deadly consequences.

Across the Rocky Mountain Front Range Jarvis tries to balance both cases, each dragging him deeper into different sleazy underworlds, jeopardizing him, his clients and their families. With danger and death all around him, he somehow must rescue everyone before this fatal business claims the lives of all involved, his life and the one he is growing to love.



CHAPTER EIGHT

I decided to get a bite to eat at a local Subway in an effort to drop a few pounds. In the commercials they claimed all I had to do was eat there every day and off it would come. Since Madison Avenue never lied, I’d be slimmer and trimmer in no time.

I enjoyed the meal in my car while checking out the location of The Hustle. It wasn’t a long drive but took me to the other side of town, east of the campus. It was already dark when I arrived short of 7 p.m. The day had flown by but still I hadn’t a clue where Ray was. I was hoping to strike gold here and finally learn something that would lead me to him.

It was early yet so the parking lot was mostly empty. I navigated the potholes and found a place up front. The outside appeared pretty shabby and I didn’t have high hopes for the inside. I decided I’d better have my gun with me, as it didn’t appear this was a family-friendly environment. So I slipped on my shoulder holster and strapped in my Berretta, making sure it was loaded and the safety was on, all concealed under my jacket. As I reached the front door, a large black man asked me for some ID.

“Members only,” he bellowed.

I pulled out a couple of twenties and handed it to him. “Will this cover me for one night?”

He pocketed it without hesitation while letting me in. “Enjoy yourself.”

Once I stepped inside I saw the place wasn’t a total dump, but it wasn’t Vegas either. It was very warm and the sound was ear-shatteringly loud, with modern dance music I didn’t care for. There were about ten patrons in the place, all men, most of whom were in suits. They were enjoying the show on the stage, where the mostly naked woman were doing their best to dance. Their G-strings barely covering their lower bodies, their chests completely exposed and wiggling to their gyrations. Many places like this didn’t allow the patrons to touch the dancers but here it appeared to be encouraged, as two of the men were getting rubbed down by one dancer, while she bounced back and forth between the two. The more money they flashed the more she would do. If I wasn’t so real world–hardened I’d probably be blushing, not that anyone could see it in this dim lighting. I sat down at a table and a waitress, slightly more clothed, wearing spandex bottoms but still topless, came up asking me what my pleasure was, her chest pointed straight at me.

“I’m sure many men here answer your question in a naughty way,” I said to her.

“Yes, most do. We are trained to say it, make it sound sexy. Gets them riled up. Good for business.”

“Good to know they don’t skimp on training the staff,” I said. “I’ll do my best to control myself. I’ll take a draft light beer if you have it, and run a tab.”

She wiggled away, also part of the training, and I had to admit I enjoyed the skin she was showing, though I’d say Melissa’s was more to my liking. She returned quickly, setting the suds and bill on the table.

Surveying the room I saw two guys who fit the description of Grady and Mack, though it was hard to tell since the lighting was so bad. The stage strobe flashed in rhythm with the music, doing little to brighten the place and only blinded you. They were sitting at a large table near the front, each with a woman cradled on their laps whispering in their ears. When the sound stopped, the two women left and went backstage. About ten minutes passed and the music started again and a new pair of dancers hit the stage, one of whom was Ariela. She had on a biker outfit, chaps, spiked leather boots, a black leather bra with tassels, and a skull cap covering her hair. The other dancer was dressed nearly the same and both of them began to dance to “Bad to the Bone.” This brought hoots and hollers from the men in the crowd as they gyrated around, doing their best to tease the men and slowly disrobe.

I decided to move closer and made eye contact with her. She had now removed her bra and was slowly stripping out of her chaps. I pulled out some cash and began waving it at her. She stepped down off the stage and came over to me, snuggling up against me with her sweaty body. I took a couple of bills and placed them into her G-string, and she came around and straddled me, rubbing her crotch against mine. It wasn’t entirely unpleasant and I was playing a part, looking like someone enjoying themselves. She put her mouth to my ear and began nibbling.

“It’s the two at the big table on the right,” she said above a whisper so I could hear over the music.”

Running my mouth now across her ear, I answered, “Thanks. It’s what I suspected.”

“We need to keep this up a while longer. Grab my ass.”

Doing as I was told, she gave me a full-mouthed kiss with lots of tongue. Again it was not unpleasant, but I was trying to control myself. She began licking my face and putting her hand on my crotch. Now it was getting more difficult to not get aroused.

“You actually are pretty cute,” she murmured. “If you’re ever lonely, you know where I live. Stop by for a good time. I even have a female friend who will join in. We like touching each other while you watch and then…” She whispered some graphic details in my ear, leaving little to the imagination.

She crawled off of me and I placed some more cash into her G-string. The next song started playing and she moved onto another patron. I got myself back under control, enjoying the show until it ended and stepped over to the bar. There was no one at it other than the bartender. I asked for a refill and handed him my tab.

“Quite a place here,” I stated. “The ladies are very friendly, more so than most places.”

“Part of the service,” he answered while placing the fresh beer in front of me. “People pay big bucks to come in here and get their rocks off. If the girls aren’t in your face and crawling all over you they don’t work here long, if you know what I mean.”

“Yeah, I can tell. The one on my lap nearly had me busting through my zipper. A few more minutes…”

“Ariela is a hot one. She keeps them coming back for more, if you get my drift. Don’t think I’ve seen you here before.”

“Possible new member; I’m here on a trial basis. What does it cost per month?”

He gave me an answer and I whistled.

“Damn, that is a lot of dough, though worth it for the perks.”

“You are only seeing the appetizer. The four-course meal and dessert is in the back. Anything a man would wish for and desire.”

I took a long draw on my beer. It tasted watered-down, which was fine with me. No need to get drunk, but I wanted to look like any another customer in the bar. Intoxication would be my disguise.

“Hey, a friend of mine told me to stop by and see him here,” I asked. “Comes here often and said I’d have a good time. But I don’t see him here.”

“What’s his name?”

“Ray Malone.”

His friendly face turned south when I said the name. “I never heard of him.” I could tell he was lying.

“Really, are you sure? Said he was a regular and is good friends with two other guys who come here a lot. I figured you’d know them.”

“Sorry, buddy, I haven’t worked here too long. Excuse me, I need to get some more peanuts from the back.”

Sitting in front of me, the peanut bowl was full. Stepping away, I knew he was going to warn someone. I turned to face the stage and the place got loud again, being time for the next show. I was watching the table and saw Grady grab his cell phone to check something, a text message probably pointing me out. He glanced over my way and slapped Mack on the back to draw his attention away from the dancers. Both of them were eyeballing me now, and I raised my beer glass to drink the rest. Slowly they got out of their chairs and walked towards me, neither one looking pleased. They approached and I stood straight up, smiling a happy drunk expression. I wanted them to think I was just another wasted patron—an Academy Award presentation.

“We understand you’re inquiring about someone,” said Grady, loud enough so I could hear him over the music.

“Yeah,” I stated trying to slur my words. “A buddy of mine, Ray Malone. Do you guys know him?”

“Why you asking about him?” said Mack.

“Like I said he is a friend. Told me to stop by sometime and he’d show me a good time. Says the ladies here give the best head.”

“I don’t think you’re a member,” said Grady. “How’d you get in here?”

“Money talks. Ray said for forty bucks I could get a preview of the place. If I like it, I could buy a membership and join.”

“We don’t have any membership openings right now,” stated Mack. “It would be best if you leave before we throw you out.”

“Oh, come on, guys, I ain’t hurting nobody. I’m trying to have some fun. Get a little action. You have some hot girls here and I’m raring to stick it to them.”

“I think you’ve had enough to drink,” said Grady. “Let us call you a cab so you can go home and sleep it off.”

“But what about Ray? I wanted to say hi and thank him.”

“He don’t come around anymore and isn’t welcome here either,” said Mack “And neither are his friends. Now move.”

Mack put his hand on my shoulder and I slumped down pretending I couldn’t stand. He shoved me to the floor, his strength pushing me about ten feet away. In the process I reached into my coat and pulled out my gun, pointing it straight at the two of them. In their defense, neither of them blinked or showed any fear, but still respected it.

“Now, I came here to find Ray,” I said loudly while getting to my feet. “You were friends with him from what I learned, so I figure you know where he may be.”

“We told you,” answered Grady. “He don’t come around here anymore and isn’t welcome.”

“You guys have a falling-out?” I asked.

No response from either. Their faces remained stoic and weren’t giving much away.

“He’s missing and I figure you two may be involved. I want some answers.”

“You’re digging yourself a hole, friend,” said Mack. “Might be your grave, so if I were you I’d back out and walk away. This isn’t something you want to mess with.”

“And what if I put a bullet in one of you? Will this loosen your tongues?”

Both glanced at each other and started to laugh. Apparently I didn’t scare them any, my bluff not called.

“You want to fire, go right ahead,” answered Grady. “But if you do, it will only guarantee your own death.”

It looked like we had a standoff and I didn’t care to shoot the place up. I figured leaving my card this time and asking them to call if they saw Ray wouldn’t work with this bunch. So I needed to ease my way out.

“OK, I’ll walk out of here. But to make sure you don’t plug me in the back, ask your man at the door to come in here so I can back my way out.”

Mack called out to the man at the door and he ambled in slowly while I kept my gun pointed. If they all rushed me at once I could shoot one or two, but not all three. It was getting time to leave. I stepped carefully to the door keeping an eye in front and another behind. Reaching it, I stepped through when I saw a person and turned. It was the bartender and he tried to grab me, so I punched him with my free hand in the nose as hard as I could. It didn’t stop him and he tackled me to the ground, my gun skidding away. I rolled to push him off of me and got to my feet, when another set of arms bear-hugged me, nearly crushing the wind out of me. I stepped down hard on his left foot with my heel and pulled loose, only to be slugged in the face by the bartender, which sent me reeling to the ground. The other person was the doorman; he picked me up and I tried to punch him in the stomach, but couldn’t get enough on it. He used a right-left body combo, knocking the wind out of me this time, dropping me to my knees. Another shot to the side of my jaw laid me out on the cold cement. I was seeing stars but also hearing sirens, or was it angels calling me home to Heaven? I was done and there was nothing to keep them from finishing me off.

“What’s going on?” spoke an amplified voice.

“Nothing, sir,” said someone else. “We were persuading this gentleman to leave. He isn’t welcome and was causing a disturbance.”

“OK, back inside, we’ll take it from here,” said the first voice.

A door slammed, followed by footsteps. Someone knelt down beside me and slapped my face to clear my head.

“You OK, buddy,” he asked.

My eyes opened and I saw him there in his pretty dark-blue uniform.

I cleared my throat to speak, but I’m not sure if he heard me before I put my head back down to sleep. “Who says there is never a cop around when you need one?”



CONNECT WITH R. WEIR AT: 

Twitter: https://twitter.com/RWeir720

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/JarvisMannPI

Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/+RWeirAuthor

Blog / website: http://jarvismann.blogspot.com/

Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/R-Weir/e/B00JH2Y5US/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0


Free Shipping on all Gift Baskets!


No comments:

Post a Comment