Sunday, June 14, 2015

Meet Simone Bailey and SILVER STUDS and SABRE TEETH

 Simone Bailey

Meet Simone Bailey and SILVER STUDS and SABRE TEETH

silver studs cover
  Hi Simone, thank you for joining us.  Tell us about your book. 
My latest release is Silver Studs and Sabre Teeth, published by Zeus Publications Queensland, Australia (available as both paperback and e-book). It is an adult satire, which is my preferred genre.
What is the story about?
It is the story of a man’s journey from the ordinary to the extraordinary, after circumstances lead to him being filmed (on a mobile telephone) naked in a local park. He finds himself rescued by the embodiment of one of his all-time idols, Marc Bolan, late singer with 70s glam band T-Rex. His life comes apart in the wake of the mobile telephone footage in that he has to stand aside from his job after being accused of taking a bribe, and his marriage comes apart. He has to pick up the pieces.
Who is the main character?
  Hector Davis, a 40yo town planner. Very ordinary man, loves his wife and daughter, and loves listening to 70s rock music.
What inspired this tale?  How did the story come to you?
Different vagaries in my mind. One from a funny anecdote told to me by a friend who had been a sex worker (what happens to Hector is not exactly what my friend told me about, but it had me thinking). I was also thinking about a guy with whom I once played pub trivia – he was ‘Benny’ in an ABBA tribute band. I find ABBA a bit boring, and am personally a huge fan of Glam Rock, so I decided to have a Marc Bolan impersonator. Another sub-plot came to me from a friend who told me she was attending a same sex marriage for two of her friends. Things I’ve seen in the news inspired me, particularly the raid on the gallery of an artist who had some photographs some people considered offensive. What makes a photograph offensive?
Did you have to research for this novel and if so, why?
Yes, I read newspaper cuttings online regarding the raided art gallery, and some legal papers about a corruption hearing which I thought could provide fodder for my protagonist’s bribery allegations. I also researched groupies and pub bands, as well as the life of Marc Bolan in particular because I wanted to draw parallels between the real–life Bolan, and the impersonator in the novel.
If you did research, what do you think surprised you most to learn and why?
That Marc Bolan, a car nut, never learned to drive! I found some interviews with him on You Tube, and he was asked in one where he envisaged himself at age 50 or 60. He replied, ‘I don’t think I’m going to get that old.’ Eerily, this interview was recorded a few weeks prior to this death!
Do you relate to your character?
No, not really. If I met him in real life, I would like him because he’s kind and we have common interests, but I would not say I relate to him.
Is your protagonist anything like you personally?
To a very small degree, yes.
If yes, then how?
We share a love of music.
What made you write this character; what made them important to you or made you want to tell their story?
I started off with him as a bit of a silly twerp, but I didn’t find him that interesting, so I gave him a bit more intelligence and integrity. My main interest in telling his story is – hahaha! – to get book sales and get my mortgage paid! I wanted to show him as a deep down man with what some people would perceive as flaws, but a good man nonetheless.
Is there anything specific you want readers to know about this piece of work?
It features 70s Glam Rock Tribute artists, deals with the questions of male depression, and same sex-marriage. Its themes include separation of art from artist, and listening to musicians who have committed abhorrent crimes does not mean you support nefarious behavior in the person.
Has the book already been published?
Yes
If yes, do you have a link available for buying it?
It is available direct from the publisher as e-book or paperback:
http://www.zeus-publications.com/silver_studs_and_sabre_teeth.htm
It is also available on Amazon as e-book or paperback.
You can connect with Simone Bailey at:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Bingells
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/simone.bailey.77
Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/u/0/117828640291139352130/about
Blog / website: http://www.bingellsblog.blogspot.com

   Amber For Babies

No comments:

Post a Comment